Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to update to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus getting rid of.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Around 14% of the overall population, has hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have hearing loss are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with multiple health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies coming out all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And the last convincing point is that loss of hearing can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in income each year. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your used hearing aid can have a huge impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for a person in need who could not normally afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into college and make a livable wage when they’re older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the correct recycling choice for you. Or give us a call.